Barbed wire fences are cost-effective and offer substantial security. However, they can also be dangerous, and some areas even limit their use. To help you determine if barbed wire is an appropriate option for your property, or if another choice may work better, here are five popular applications for barbed wire fences:
- Livestock containment: Barbed wire is not recommended for horses, since they have a higher capacity to try to break through fences, which causes substantial injury. Cows, on the other hand, have much thicker skin and it takes more to convince them to stay on the right side of the fence. They are also much less likely to sustain serious injury if they come in contact with the fence. This makes barbed wire a popular option on ranches.
- Security: Prisons and shops with high-priced machinery often install barbed wire to keep people both in and out. No one can risk escape or a break-in without also risking serious injury. Barbed wire fences in Carlsbad, NM can act as deterrents, as potential thieves will see them and decide to look elsewhere for a hit. By its intimidating appearance alone, you are likely to keep your premises much more secure. It is also cost-effective, making it one of the least expensive security options.
- Varmint control: You may have an impressive residential garden and wish to keep deer or rabbits out. Those in the nursery or greenhouse business also have the same motivation to keep pests away from their growing assets. Barbed wire can be built close to the ground or higher up to discourage herbivores from helping themselves to a snack. Just remember to add a gate so you can get easy access to your crops without risking a trip to the emergency room.
- Enforce land boundaries: People will also use barbed wire to trace out their exterior boundaries so neighbors are more likely to respect their property. This will often also be employed if there are security issues like frequent break-ins or trespassing. You may need to check your local ordinances first, as primarily residential areas, for example, do not normally allow barbed wire on an exterior fence.
- Encourage safety: Since very few people will challenge barbed wire, companies and municipalities will often use it to block off unsafe areas. Train crossings are one popular place to find barbed wire so people do not cross tracks unauthorized. Any area where people can drown, sustain electrical shock or get run over by high-speed vehicles is likely a good candidate for a nice uninviting barbed wire fence.
If you go with a barbed wire fence, never handle it unless you are wearing thick gloves. Be careful that it is not stretched too tightly because if it gives way, it can coil back and injure anyone standing nearby. Barbed wire fence installation is also not a project done well by amateurs, so consider hiring a skilled installer for this project.
Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC installs barbed wire fences in Carlsbad, NM on commercial, residential and agricultural premises. To get an estimate for your fence today, call us for an appointment.