When you own a vineyard, you do what it takes to produce the best possible grapes for winemaking. You work the land, taste the crop and harvest, but do you have fencing up to ensure your future? The following are some reasons why you should talk to a fence contractor in Carlsbad, NM about the importance of vineyard fencing:
- Protect against animal destruction: Like farms that produce vegetable crops, vineyards have animal problems, too. Wild creatures like deer and rabbits are fond of tender grape leaves, shoots, fruiting berries and even mature grapes, and they will gnaw away until there is nothing succulent left to eat. Patrolling your vineyard for wild animals is a good plan, but animals come out at various times throughout the day. Consider installing a strong, tall fence made of woven wire or another material recommended by your fence contractor in Carlsbad, NM to protect your grapes from destructive animals.
- Provide security against grape thieves: This may sound absurd, but there’s such a thing as grape thieves. These criminals sneak into vineyards during the night, usually in a big group, to steal grape clusters, either to sell or to use in their own winemaking. If you are concerned about thieves or have been victimized in the past, consult with the professionals about the best fence design and materials for your particular situation.
- Indicate ownership: Whether you own a small or large parcel of land, often times as a vineyard grower you’ll share a property line with another vineyard or other farmland. A way to mark the land you own is to put up a fence to separate your crop from your neighbor’s, but if you are both unclear of where the lines should be, contact a land surveyor to determine the true property line. Do this before erecting your fence.
- Divide up your property: Let’s say you own land with vineyards, and within those vineyards you grow 10 grape varieties and on that same land you have egg laying chickens, raise cows, maintain a fruit orchard and tend to a large vegetable garden. On top of all that, there are several houses occupied by family, the winemaker and vineyard workers. Installing fencing is a great opportunity to get organized by dividing up your property according to the aforementioned functions, as well as by grape varieties. And fencing in a yard for each house will give everyone their own private space.
- Create an inviting wine tasting area: While it’s not necessary for safety and security for your fencing around your vineyard to look pretty, the fence and gate that defines your wine tasting room should. Wine tasting allows wine lovers to try your wines and do a little exploring around parts of your vineyard. But if the building where tastings are held doesn’t look inviting, you could lose potential customers.
If a vineyard fence is on your to-do list and you need help from a fence contractor in Carlsbad, NM, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC for assistance anytime.