The first thing to do to avoid costly fencing repairs and replacement is to hire a reputable, professional fence installation company or contractor. These folks are knowledgeable and skilled in what goes into erecting a structurally sound fence. From there on out, you must take steps to care for the wood top to bottom so it lasts a long time. Luckily, small measures can make a big difference. With that in mind, here are five preventative maintenance tips for wooden residential fences in Carlsbad, NM:
- Inspect its condition: Although your fence should be able to withstand abuse from the elements, wildlife and other factors pretty well for the first few years, it’s important to perform a thorough annual inspection with periodic checks throughout the year. To start with the basics, give boards and posts a soft nudge to make sure they’re still securely attached to the rest of the fence panel. Also check for cracks and remove damp yard debris that’s sitting against the base.
- Cleaning: A good old fashioned scrubbing keeps fence wood looking good, healthy and free of a total weathered appearance. But if strenuous manual labor is not for you, it’s also possible to use a residential-use pressure washer to blast away dirt and set-in grime with ease. Wash with a cleaning solution that’s wood-approved and treated with the power to remove mold. If you don’t own a pressure washer, you can rent one, or hire a skilled person with a keen eye to clean it for you.
- Staining: The average wood fence board is not protected from the elements—like rain and the hot sun—until you add a layer of stain to seal it. And to maintain its quality and appearance, wood fences will need resealing every couple years. Stain newly installed residential fences in Carlsbad, NM, but wait until recently cleaned wood fences are dry all the way through before staining. Know that opting to forgo staining can lead to material deterioration, and eventually may create the need for a total replacement.
- Making repairs: There are a number of ways wooden residential fences in Carlsbad, NM can get damaged, such as by rotting, cracking, splintering or being hit with a large object. Make repairs as soon as possible. Luckily, since wooden fences are constructed of many individual boards and posts, replacing a damaged board that is beyond repair is not difficult to do by yourself.
- Correct unwanted behavior: This is a big one for those with children and pets. To avoid damages and cosmetic issues, take it upon yourself to correct kids’ and pets’ behavior immediately. Don’t allow kids to jump on, kick, punch, gouge or throw things against your wood fence. Shoo away acrobatic cats from perching, clawing at and scratching the wood, and instruct dogs to not jump against or push on fence panels—and definitely stop them from gnawing on boards. All this is bad for the structural integrity and appearance of your fence.
If you have a wooden fence surrounding your yard, then regular maintenance is a must to extend its life. For residential fence repairs, replacement and installation, give the team at Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC a call today.