Now that you’ve put up a new fence, you may be asking yourself, “How long will this last before I need to go through that process again?” If that’s the case, keep reading. This post from a fencing contractor in Carlsbad, NM will teach you what you need to know about your fence’s lifespan, and what you can do to prolong it.
Factors that affect lifespan
Your fence’s lifespan depends on a number of different factors. You can control some of them, while others are out of your hands. These are a few of the many elements that play a role in how many years your fence might last:
- Material choice: More than almost anything else, your fence’s lifespan depends on the type of material you choose. Vinyl, wrought iron and aluminum fences are designed to last for years and years. Wood fencing, on the other hand, has a much shorter lifespan. Talk to your contractor about which material is best for your property and your needs.
- Installation: A homeowner with a little knowhow and determination can install his or her own fence, but is that really a good idea? We don’t think so. Proper fence installation is key if you want it to stand the test of time, so we always recommend hiring a professional to do the job.
- Maintenance: Materials like aluminum and vinyl don’t require much maintenance at all—you just need to hose them down when they’re dirty. On the other hand, wrought iron and wood fences need to be painted every so often to ensure they stay strong and looking good.
- Weather: As you can imagine, Mother Nature can play a significant role in your fence’s lifespan. One nasty storm can destroy your fence in one fell swoop. The best way to prevent that from happening is to choose a good contractor and pick a sturdy material for your fence.
What can I do to keep my fence in good shape?
The good news about your new fence is the fact that keeping up its appearance and prolonging its lifespan doesn’t have to be all that tricky. As long as you follow the points below, your fence should last decades:
- Choose the right contractor: As we touched on above, be sure you hire a good contractor to install your fence. A quality fencing contractor in Carlsbad, NM will use the highest-quality materials for your fence, and install it in a manner that helps ensure that it holds up to time and the elements.
- Call for maintenance if necessary: If you installed a fence that requires any maintenance or repainting, be sure you have that done on a regular basis. Quick and easy maintenance can make all the difference between a fence that lasts two years and one that lasts two decades.
- Make repairs early: Similar to the point above, be sure to call for help if your fence is in need of repair! Any loose boards or holes in your fence look terrible, and the problem will only get worse and worse as time goes on.
When it comes to fencing, nobody does it better than the team at Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC. From installation to repairs, we’re proud to be the trusted fencing contractor in Carlsbad, NM for countless area property owners. Reach out to us today to learn more!