Owning a home requires a lot of regular upkeep—not just cleaning on occasion, but investing in worthwhile (or necessary) upgrades as time goes on. For example, consider the fence standing along the property line between you and your neighbors or a city road. Residential fences in Carlsbad, NM are important. A fence provides privacy and security and adds to the aesthetics of the property it wraps around. A quality fence costs more than a popsicle-stick fence constructed of cheap materials, but will also last a lot longer and look nicer.
The goal here is to build a fence that’ll stand strong while also fulfilling your needs. Below is a list of things to consider before choosing and installing a residential fence:
- Project budget: Unless you need a new fence immediately, take some time to research the different types of residential fences in Carlsbad, NM, as well as the cost of fencing materials and installation services. Set a budget and stick to it—if you don’t have enough funds set aside, you might want to put a hold on the project. It’s better to build a sturdy fence once every 20 or 30 years than a new rickety fence every few years.
- Type of fence: Your fence can be built using materials like wood, metal, concrete, stone, brick and even vinyl—or a combination of different materials. Choose a true privacy fence and you’re looking at a wood fence. Prefer simplicity? Chain link may be the way to go. Another factor to consider is how tall you want your fence to be. The average fence height in most states is six feet (typically not including retaining walls). One of the first steps is to check with the county you live in about any applicable residential fence building regulations.
- Maintenance: The level of care and maintenance depends on a number of factors, including the type of materials used, the climate where you live, what the fence is being used for and natural conditions like shade, moisture and exposure to sunlight. Ask your fence contractor what fencing materials they’d recommend for your property.
- Safety: Some homeowners want a fence for safety. Perhaps there’s a swimming pool in the backyard that isn’t separately gated or fenced, or maybe you live next to a forested area and you’d prefer that wild animals stay out of your yard.
- DIY or hire: Another thing to consider is whether you want to build the fence yourself or hire a professional fence contractor to install it. Sure, you might be able to save money on installation fees, but project expenses can add up if you don’t know what you are doing.
- Kids and pets: If you have kids or pets or both, you should choose a fence that’s tall enough, durable enough and secure enough to keep them safe inside the fence and keep out uninvited guests.
At Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC, were are happy to provide high-quality residential fences to customers living in Carlsbad, NM and western Texas. Call us today for repairs, panel additions or fence installation services!