When it comes to choosing a material for residential fencing, it’s tough to beat wood. As long as it’s installed correctly, a wood fence adds beauty to your property and lasts for years without failing. However, all woods are not created equal, and choosing the wrong wood can turn into a disaster.
Buying low-quality wood for your fencing project will undoubtedly lead to rotten posts, failing boards and even termite infestations that can affect your whole property. The good news is that our team at Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC is here to help! This post will cover the best woods for fencing in Carlsbad, NM to help make your buying decision easier:
- Cedar: If you want a beautiful wood fence without breaking the bank, consider going with cedar. Cedar is rot resistant and has natural oils that deter nasty insects. Those two properties ensure a long-lasting fence that’ll look great for ages—just be sure you stain or paint it! Many homeowners opt to stain the wood to increase longevity while maintaining its natural beauty.
- Cypress: Like cedar, cypress is rot resistant. Cypress also contains a chemical called cypretine that deters wood-destroying insects. Cypress trees are native to the American south, which means shipping prices can make the wood quite a bit more expensive than cedar in this part of the country. However, cedar’s beauty and longevity often make the extra cost worth it.
- Redwood: Another pricy-yet-beautiful fencing option is redwood. Redwood fences are some of the most popular across the country due to their aesthetics and durability. Like the two options mentioned above, redwood resists rot and insects, but it’s not as effective at either. To increase the fence’s lifespan, redwood should be treated with a stain every few years.
Other things to consider
Knowing what makes the best wood for fencing in Carlsbad, NM is obviously important, but it’s not everything. There are a few other factors to think about before and after installing your new fence:
- Correct installation: With the right tools and a few friends, you could install your new wood fence in a matter of days. We don’t advise that, though. Hiring a professional to install your fence helps ensure your fence lasts for years without falling apart or falling down.
- Weatherproofing: We touched on staining redwood fences above. However, we recommend treating your fence regardless of the wood you choose. Treating your fence with a weatherproofing solution protects it from rain, extreme temperatures and UV rays. This should be done every other year for best results.
- Maintenance: Along with treating your fence, it’s also crucial to perform some other basic maintenance. Checking for loose boards and replacing them when necessary prolongs your fence’s lifespan and keeps it looking in tip-top shape.
Choose Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC for fence installation!
Though we typically specialize in ranch and commercial fencing, we’re happy to help with your next residential fencing project. Our experts know which woods are the best for fencing in Carlsbad, NM, and we have over a decade of industry experience. So, instead of attempting to install your new fence by yourself, call our team to get started on your next fencing project.