A wooden fence is your best bet if you want to protect your property while adding beauty and ensuring privacy. However, a wooden fence doesn’t last forever—in fact, it usually only lasts about a decade before it needs to be replaced. In addition to old age, there are five signs that you need to replace your wooden fence in Carlsbad, NM. Continue reading to learn more about each sign:
- Rotting: A few rotten boards are easy to replace, especially if you hire a pro. But if multiple areas on your fence are starting to rot, you should go ahead and replace the whole thing. Keep in mind that once rot begins, it’ll only get worse with time.
- Leaning: Wind, rain and erosion can cause your fence to lean and eventually topple over. A fencing contractor may be able to make some repairs, but replacement is likely necessary for a severe lean.
- Split and missing boards: Even the highest-quality woods can split over the years due to rain and the sun’s UV rays. Fixing a few split boards is no big deal, but you’re better off replacing the whole thing if you have problems with wood across the entire fence.
- Loose and missing fasteners: Although they’re harder to spot, missing screws or nails are one of our top five signs that you need to replace your wooden fence in Carlsbad, NM. We advise performing routine fence inspections to ensure all of the fasteners are intact.
- Repairs are costly: We mentioned several times that repairs are possible for most of your fencing problems. However, these repair costs can get expensive. If the estimate seems high, we recommend asking your contractor about the price to replace your fence.
Should you replace your fence by yourself?
A DIY-oriented homeowner may be tempted to install their new fence by themselves, but we don’t recommend that, and these are a few of the reasons why:
- Poor results: Installing a fence by yourself isn’t rocket science, but the end result can look very shoddy! Instead, hire a professional to handle it all. In addition to looking much better, a professionally-installed fence will last much longer than a DIY job.
- Wasted money: It may seem counterintuitive, but installing your own fence can cost more than hiring a specialist. Unless you already have the necessary tools, you’ll need to buy or rent them. Additionally, lumber and other materials for the fence aren’t exactly cheap.
- Lost time: Your time is more valuable than what you’d spend at the hardware store. Don’t spend days laboring out in the yard—hire a team of experts to take care of the installation! You can kick back and relax while the professionals handle the dirty work.
If your fence is starting to fall apart or you’ve noticed any of the five signs that you need to replace your wooden fence in Carlsbad, NM, call Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC. Nobody in the area has more experience or more competitive rates! Contact us today to get an estimate for your fencing project.