Do you have issues with coyotes entering your backyard? This can be dangerous for outdoor pets. Coyotes may also decide to take a swim in your swimming pool. If this is the case, you may be looking into how to build your own coyote rollers. There are many kits available that you can purchase and install quickly, though some people prefer to do it on their own.
Here are our leading tips on coyote roller installation.
Why you should install coyote rollers
A coyote roller is a pet-protection system installed on the top of the fence. Coyote roller kits will all include a top that makes it difficult for coyotes to enter the property. The basic idea is that the coyote attempting to enter will slip and fall back when they try to clear the fence. Coyotes and dogs tend to use the top of the fence in an effort to pull themselves over, but the roller prevents this. They can get a foothold on the fence but won’t be able to pull themselves up.
It’s generally an effective way to keep your pets in the yard and ensure that wildlife stays out of the yard. Whether you’re going with a kit or DIY, you can keep your property secure with coyote rollers. These come in a variety of types including aluminum and PVC pipe.
Benefits of coyote rollers
The fact is that American cities and towns are plagued by wildlife issues ranging from coyotes and foxes to bears and raccoons. A quality coyote roller is designed to roll with as little as 2 ounces of pressure but can withstand hundreds of pounds of weight. Coyote rollers:
- Require no power source
- Need virtually zero maintenance
- Protect pets
- Protect property from wildlife intruders
- Provide a humane solution, as no coyotes or other wildlife will be harmed, unlike with other solutions such as electric fencing and barbed wire
Build your own coyote rollers
Here’s what you’ll need to build a coyote roller fence:
- A PVC pipe that’s ½ inch in diameter and one that’s 3 inches in diameter
- Eye bolts and nuts
- Wire cable
Here’s how to install the rollers:
- Affix the L-brackets on both sides of the fence. It may be necessary to reinforce it along certain parts of the fence line, depending on how long the fence is
- Then run the wire cable through the smaller PVC pipe
- Take the smaller PVC pipe and thread it through the larger, 3-inch pipe
- Affix the wire to the fence’s ends using the eye bolts
This should give you a coyote roller that will function nicely.
Whether you’re looking for coyote roller installation, commercial fences or anything else, Guadalupe Mountain Fencing LLC is here to meet all your fencing needs. For more than a decade, we’ve built a reputation as a leading fencing contractor. We do it all—from barbed wire and chain link to high and net wire fences. Contact us today to learn more about our services and ask for a free estimate.